Introduction

Introduction
I have been given a task to produce a set design which is based on the film called, "Little Shop of Horrors." As the set design is very important within theatres I am expected to create a stage which meets all of the requirements of the film as well as 1950's New York. During the process of organising an outstanding stage for an audience, I will be noting down key aspects of my planning. This includes the production of the design and as much research as possible. Also, it is essential to communicate with all members of my group and sharing new ideas. I will ensure that my ideas are original and I am asking opinions from my teacher and client. I am looking forward to creating an exciting design for the stage and an outcome I can proudly reflect on.



Thursday 25 November 2010

Choosing the correct shop sign

As well as rusty and poorly built roads the buildings during the 1950’s were not made of high maintenance. Therefore, shop signs were delicately put up. In ‘Little shop of Horrors’ the shop signs are vital for the audience as well as the set. For that reason, the set designers for the stage will have to make shop signs particularly for the florist.

I am aware that, New York in 1950’s meant most people were living in poverty and low working class. This also reflects throughout the film of Little Shop of Horrors. For that reason, I know the shop sign cannot be glamorous but include suitable typeface which symbolises a flower shop.

This would not be a good sign because it is too formal. Also, it is not bold enough for the audience to notice. However, it has a shadow affect which mirrors the spooky storyline.  


Even though, this shop sign stands out, it is too bright and cheerful for a 1950’s symbol. As well as this but, the colours do not reflect flowers but, heat and sunshine.



This text would not be relevant as the colours used is boring and contains two colours which are not matched with one another. In addition, this text would be too confusing to read.


In my opinion, I think the colours used in this font are appropriate as green demonstrates plants. Unfortunately, it would be very dark
meaning viewers will have difficulties reading and the lettering is too closely combined together making the text unclear.





The reason why I like this colour is because, it is soft coloured and lilac indicates flowers. Also, it has a shadow which emphasises the affect. 


This was the chosen shop sign. I believe it is great as the colours are appropriate for a florist. It also is not too glamorous as it does not include rich colours. However, it still looks bold and stands out because of the bright green outline. The bright green outline shows lighting that many shops in old fashioned New York displayed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment