Introduction

Introduction
I have been given a task to produce a set design which is based on the film called, "Little Shop of Horrors." As the set design is very important within theatres I am expected to create a stage which meets all of the requirements of the film as well as 1950's New York. During the process of organising an outstanding stage for an audience, I will be noting down key aspects of my planning. This includes the production of the design and as much research as possible. Also, it is essential to communicate with all members of my group and sharing new ideas. I will ensure that my ideas are original and I am asking opinions from my teacher and client. I am looking forward to creating an exciting design for the stage and an outcome I can proudly reflect on.



Thursday 25 November 2010

Client Meetings

The client is Ms. Jones as she is the Director and Producer of the show. Therefore, it is her role to require us valid information so we can make the props for the set as best as possible.

Within the first meeting, I had a variety of information to be shared. I presented visual research which included a 1950’s mood board. This gave a clear knowledge of the kind of themes we were developing into. Also, I showed a list of the important storylines in Little Shop of Horrors that needed an outstanding prop to stun the audience. In addition, I showed her a poster which I designed as an advertisement to attract viewers for the show. Initial designs of the plant were presented as I experimented with different colours and materials to make an appropriate plant.

Ms Jones really liked the colour schemes of black, green and red which was included for the posters. As well as this, she explained that it is significant that the posters met legal requirements of copyright. For that reason, I learnt I had to include legal wording on the advertisements. As I know that the beginning of the story is harsh and grubby but the second half is more glamorous but still has an element of poverty, Ms Jones, told us to ensure that the set designs for each scene is to get that message across as well as showing the contrast when the storyline changes.

This affected my design work as feedback from the client was essential so I could understand what my task was in depth. Therefore, I could ensure my work was accurate. Not only this but, I felt confident in what I was designing because I was aware of the requests from the client. Because of the fact that, I was able to portray ideas and creativity across to Ms. Jones I felt comfortable to make progress and develop skills.

It is important to discuss development with the client as she is the person who tells us what she wants for the play. Furthermore, situations may change along the way whilst in the design process. For example, dates and times may need adjusting thus new handouts of posters and advertisements need correcting before being displayed. Having regular meetings certifies that we are updated with the schedules and stay organised

Group Discussions:
As a group we are listening and expressing individual ideas across to each other. We are aware that the audience must see a dramatic difference in the setting as it changes to colourless to more joy. We are now planning to think about how the props and setting will stand on the stage. Also, the scale of imagery of the set is important. This means we need to ensure the shop signs and background images are correctly sized and placed right.

No comments:

Post a Comment